The Purpose of the Voyage


Welcome everyone to "Videogame Voyager".
First and foremost, thank you to everyone checking
out this site. I hope you enjoy what you find here as
well as the things you read about my so called project.
And to any of my followers, thank you for joining me on
this voyage.


Systems that I currently own can be seen on the left and my "wish list" of systems are on the right.
As I find consoles and purchase them, the list will be altered accordingly.


Forums

Videogame Voyager Forums


Click Here




Games I Want


Nintendo

Super Mario Bros. 2
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: the Adventures of Link
Deja Vu
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Pro Wrestling

N64

Mario Kart 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Golden Eye 007
Ogre Battle 64

Sega Genesis

Shadowrun

Super Nintendo

Shadowrun
Anything Mario
Anything Square



Monday, October 24, 2011

Retro Recall: Ocarina of Time (N64) Part 1


Since money is kind of tight at the moment, I have decided to a retro review until I go treasure hunting again. I was able to pick up The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time last week, and that is what my focus will be on. This may not be as much as a review as it is a fond remembrance as I play though this game again. Since I juggle fatherhood, husband duties, school, and work my updates may seem sparse. I have decided to break my retro recall as I will call it, into sections. Each section will be the events leading to, and what happens in a dungeon. I haven't played this game since it's release, so I can not say how many sections there will be. Why not go look it up? I don’t want to spoil anything. I want this play through and retro recall to be as magical as it was the first time.

Ahhh, the memories.


First off, the graphics are not as memorable as I remember them being over ten years ago. Lucky for me, and everyone else, that's not what Zelda is all about. For me the game is about so much more than that. Something like graphics are very easy for me to overlook when I think about the impact this game had on me.

I have to admit that learning the N64 control scheme all over again was a bit difficult at first. I forgot how awkward the shape of it was. Yet, in almost no time all, I had it down and was running through Kokiri Forest. It's a bit embarrassing to mention, but it took me longer than I would like to admit to remember where I was supposed to go in order to grab Link's sword. After running in circles around the forest for what seemed like forever, I finally found the fence maze that led to the small hole which in turn lead to the sword.

Hmm, where did I put that sword.

So equipped with the sword I bought a shield and set off to The Great Deku Tree who has summoned Link. The bit between Link and Mido, had me cracking up. I like seeing cocky guys in video games getting put into their place. As I traveled along the path towards the Deku Tree, I realized the Z targeting didn't work very well. I am not sure if this was a controller issue, or if the targeting system was really that difficult to perform. It seemed that almost have the time when I would attempt to Z target, it wouldn't target, yet instead just readjust my camera. This became increasingly frustrating as time rolled on. 

Love that treestache.
 
After making my way to the Deku Tree and listening to his "The world is in great peril" speech., I was ready to take off into the first dungeon of the game. This dungeon was pretty simple, but then again, aren't all initial dungeons fairly easy. As I easily ran through the dungeon hacking and slashing though enemies, my mind wandered to further into the game and the things that i would eventually encounter. I started to realize just how much there was in this game. After acquiring the major items (IE: map, compass, and Slingshot!) i traversed through the particularly easy puzzles to the first boss.

I tip toed gingerly, though the dark misty fog, waiting to see what showed up. I actually began to get pretty nervous as i looked around. Then I saw it, and the memories flooded back as I remember what I was about to face.


Did I mention I HATE spiders?

I immediately pulled out my slingshot and attempted to shoot this thing in the eye. I must have missed, because nothing happened. So I ran around for a bit like a scared girl, before realizing I had the Deku Seeds, and as Gohma approached, I threw one down. Luckily the flash stunned here and her eye changed colors. I immediately went in for the attack, getting in a pair of sword strikes before having to retreat. As she ran up I waited, and waited before having three eggs nearly dropped on my head. I was lucky enough to figure, or should I say re-figure out that I could easily kill these eggs before they hatched. After a few more cycles, and a few near close calls of death, Gohma was defeated, and I was picking up my shiny new heart container.

As I exited and listened to the Deku Tree's farewell speech, I was already looking forward to more action. It's off to Hyrule Castle next, and to see Princess Zelda. I honestly don't remember anything from when I first played over ten years ago and I am looking forward to see what happens next.

I hope you all enjoyed this, I know it's random but I hope it was a good read. Stay tuned for part two, coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment